Sunday 16 March 2014

Proposal

This was the proposal I submitted on 24/10/13:

"An exploration into the mentality and experiences of those involved in the Great War through improvisation and original material, using existing sources such as music, poetry, photography and first-hand accounts. With the aim of creating an appropriatly presented and rounded performance, I will source material representing some of the different demographics affected by the war. This has the potential to grow into a broader project which aims to explore the history of warfare itself, looking at the humanity behind those who have been involved in conflict. As the Centenary itself does not take place until July, this project will be focused on research, both of material and finding venues for potential collaboration, proposing the project to them successfully and promotion and marketing for the events. I will have a number of informal 'showcases' of the event to track progress and reflect. I hope to present a series of future performances as the end result for this assignment."

My project (after a slow start) is now well up and running! It has given me the opportunity to develop my writing skills and rehearsal techniques with unfamiliar repertoire. I have also read a lot of literature on the Great War and the poetry and music that came out of it which has all been thoroughly enjoyable.

I am looking forward to the debut showcase of some of my brand new material (3 pieces) on the 25th of March. I will record this to use as promotional material but am also hoping - time and availability depending! - to record a demo in the recording studio... we will see.

I am glad to say that already a few jazz venues have shown interest in my project and I am looking to approach them with a formal proposition over the next few weeks. So far, the feedback I have received has been very encouraging and I am looking forward to see how this project will pan out!

No comments:

Post a Comment